[Tagging] Religious landuse?

johnw johnw at mac.com
Sat Jul 19 00:08:21 UTC 2014

On Jul 17, 2014, at 5:46 PM, Pieren <pieren3 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm surprised about this discussion. Think that
> amenity=place_of_worship has to be treated like amenity=school. Nobody
> is asking to create a landuse=school because it is rendered properly
> on the main osm style

Besides this discussion of Landuse=religion, This comment help me refine my thinking about landuses. Perhaps I need to explain my thinking.

I DO want landuse=education, Just like landuse=civic, and landuse=religious.

Why?

Because when I first started tagging in OSM (which wasn't too long ago), I mapped retail, commercial, & residential in my town. I skipped schools and the harder stuff because it wasn't clear to me, as a new tagger, how to handle these.

So when tagging a business, a mall, or a apartment building, you map the area it covers using landuse, add parking lots and other amenities on top, and put the buildings in and tag the buildings with their use (offices, house, apartment, etc) and name the landuse with the place name, and the building with the building or business name (City Office Park=> Bob's cleaners / City Mall => McDonalds / City Apartments => building 4 ).

This format is really easy for a new beginner to understand.

       ___parking___       ######building#######

[side view of a common mapping of a single business]

You then tag amenities and other things that the the landuse or the building or outline other areas (parking, gardens, grass, pools, etc) that the principal landuse has. A pool is lesiure item at the Apartment complex, Parking is an amenity for the business, etc.

But becuase OSM's tagging system has grown organically, The landuse category for this style of tagging is incomplete for some categories - Religion, Civic, and Education, and (I think?) Landuse=transportation is disused too for stations, etc).

I want fo fill out these landuses and make OSM more consistent. long time taggers may be comfortable with the inconsistency in the system, but we need to make the tagging more logical, and less of a chore to determine what tagging theory is applied to what category - currently they are all jumbled up. The wiki shouldn't need a chart to describe how to tag a school - it should be like a business. but it does, because amenity=school on the area is an unexpected hack because landuse=education was never made.
Same with City office complexes and temples/churches.

If our goal in the tagging mailing list is to improve the OSM tagging scheme, adding needed tags and simplifying the scheme should be high priorities - it would allow us to have more newbie taggers (like myself?) be able to tag the basic things around them without having to live inside the wiki to learn the arbitrary rules and customs for that particular item - when 99% of everything in a city is just a landuse and a building.

And from the perspective of a motivated newbie, it sure as hell seems needlessly arbitrary - especially with the amenity tag masquerading as a landuse.

Javbw