[Tagging] Center Turn Lane Tagging?

James Mast rickmastfan67 at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 21 02:22:13 UTC 2014

I personally think that 'centre_turn_lane=yes' is a good tag.  It cuts down on a ton of extra tags where that might be confusing to new and experienced users.

Plus, this way you shouldn't need to add an extra 'lane' to the lane count, making routers think there's more lanes that aren't really 'used' that often unlike a dedicated turn lane for one direction at an intersection where it is important.

Seriously, isn't this simpler,

centre_turn_lane=yes
lanes=2

than this for Center Turn Lanes?

lanes=3
lanes:both_ways=1turn:lanes:both_ways=left

Simpler, and to the point my example.  All the routers would have to do is tell the user to enter the 'Center Turn Lane' to make their left (or right in England) turn when the way has that tag.  Especially with highway signs all around calling it a 'Center Turn Lane'.   It's just common sense here.  I mean, if you really want to we could count the lane in the lane counts, but the 2nd example doesn't fully work since sometimes, you do need that lane to turn 'right' and get into the main lanes when coming out of a business if there is heavy traffic going the way you need to go.  I know some states frown on doing that, but most understand that needs to be done sometimes.

And another note here, I don't think you should really be attacking people here on-list when they can't defend themselves, Paul.  It just isn't right and not fair.

-James

Just tag it as the both_ways model; unless I'm missing something.  NE2 is good at finding minutae, but often finds poor ways to tag things in a consistent manner (most glaringly, a mass retag of all US highways as trunk instead of primary, even when undivided).

lanes:both_ways=1turn:lanes:both_ways=left