[Tagging] highway=speed_camera equivalent for non-speed enforcement types

Ronnie Soak chaoschaos0909 at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 22 05:35:07 UTC 2014

I've mapped some traffic light enforcement cameras lately and
stumbled across the somehow missfitting tag highway=speed_camera.

It was obvioisly invented for cameras enforcing only speed limits.

Now the actual enforcement can be quite flexibly tagged by the enforcement
relation and technically, the node used as 'device' role in the relation
does not have to have tags of its own.
But nodes without tags (and just relation membership) are prone to
accidental deletion.

I know of the surveilance tags in the man_made=* group, but they seem to be
tailored
to continuously recording cameras, not the set-off-by-a-sensor types I want
to tag.
The real world camera is (in my case) exactly the same as a speed camera,
including the housing.

I hesitate to just invent a new highway=*_camera tag, beause I don't
actually like it to be under the highway key (something accepted for the
speed_camera probably only of historical reasons) and
I don't want to create another special tag just for one type of device.

So any ideas for a general traffic rule enforcement device tag to be used
with the enforcement relation?

Regards,
Chaos