[Tagging] RFC: crossing=* (was: highway=speed_camera equivalent for non-speed enforcement types)

Dan S danstowell+osm at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 10:00:45 UTC 2014

> On 2014-07-22 11:01, Jo wrote :
> I have mentioned without much follow-up a similar issue with highway=crossing + crossing=*.
> What OSM calls "crossing", zebra stripes, is in fact a "passage pour piétons" which does not necessarily cross.

Why do you believe that OSM "crossing" refers not to a place where
highways may be crossed, but to any demarcated pedestrian area on a
highway? In british english it's very clear that a crossing is where
people cross. If "passage pour piétons" refers to a more general
category, then you need to be careful not to confuse the categories.

The wiki says (but not at the top) "This tag is for the node at the
intersection of highways and footways." That matches my understanding
of it.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dcrossing

> In Belgium (too), we have quite a number of "passages pour piétons" painted longitudinally and it makes sense.
> Children's safety, for example, is just as important if they have to walk alongside on the road.
> Or it may be painted across a parking lot, in which case mapping highway=crossing ways make sense.
> crossing=* alone (which, as a highway=* tag implicitly means highway:crossing) is sufficient.
>
> So, I am proposing:
>
> to allow crossing=* on any highway=* when the painting is longitudinal
> crossing:right=yes, crossing:left=yes in that case
> highway=crossing for a way painted across an area

If "crossing" were to be used for places where you cannot cross, this
would confuse many people. I'd suggest you need to use a different
tag.

Best
Dan