[Tagging] Religious landuse?

johnw johnw at mac.com
Wed Jul 23 23:01:13 UTC 2014

On Jul 21, 2014, at 10:06 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am not sure if I completely understand your question. I think the "rest" (or whole area) can evventually be split over different landuses, that is not a problem itself. "landuse" is not suited (IMHO) to create a feature on its own (besides that of the use of land).

My Main question is on my understanding of the landuse+building tagging scheme. Because OSM tags have grown organically, there are rough systems for tagging objects, but there seems to be a clash of those systems when it comes to mapping area+building for common town building types.

So (1), as a noob tagger, I want to make sure I'm not misunderstanding something when it comes to mapping houses, businesses, industrial, etc - because I see landuse categories as a great way to map the usable land the building and it's **related** amenities.

Therefore (2), I want to add the "missing" landuses that would extend to civic buildings (hence the landuse=civic discussion), defend landuse=religious, and yes, eventually get around to =education - because those are the landuses missing for a large class of buildings in every town in the world.

I want to standardize the landuse+building tag scheme by adding some missing tags.

I want to simplify tagging areas and buildings by having enough landuse tags to cover the major types - and a more simplified tagging scheme overall will convert more of the noob taggers who sign up for OSM into actual mappers, which currently has a very low conversion rate.  Most beginning mappers aren't going to be in JOSM or Potlach, but use iD and the wiki (me currently) - and the arbitrariness of the tagging system documented in the wiki is very difficult to internalize, so you can map without constant reference to the wiki to find out what different tagging schema this area+building has vs all the rest (townhall vs a house vs a school are all completely different for no **necessary** reason).

Consistently applied tagging schema is an easy way to do this, and since mapping areas+buildings is a major part of OSM, making the landuse tag more consistent seems to be an easy way to help this - especially when it is adds (at most) 2 or 3 additional large categories (on the same level as retail or residential). The tagging mailing list seems to be the place to discuss such improvements.

So here I am, suggesting Landuse=civic, defending landuse=religious, and hoping for a landuse=education.

I hope I made my question and my proposed solution clear enough.

Javbw