[Tagging] Kindergarten, Childcare and Preschool

Andreas Labres list at lab.at
Mon Jul 28 09:45:52 UTC 2014

On 28.07.14 11:22, Pieren wrote:
> No, the "age" might greatly differ depending in which
> continent/country/educational system you are.

The distinction in "what kind of" school expressed in the amenity tag makes no
sense. Here the pre-school education takes place in the Kindergarten. And if
there is "some other kind of" school in between Kindergarten and "regular"
school, this should be tagged as "some other kind of" school (be it a
school:type= tag or a school= tag or whatever), but there shouldn't be yet
another amenity.

childcare/kindergarten/school is enough amenities for this.

And of course the age makes sense, it depends on the national system that makes
the difference, growing older, you go to a), then to b) then to c). The age only
is a hint to categorize, of course there is a mean how to decide when to switch
(it's called "Schulreifefeststellung" here, this mostly is with 6, but it can be
with 5 or 7 years of age).

If your system (I don't know) has some kind of (pre-) school from 5 to 8 and the
"regular" school starting with 8, nothing hinders you to tag

one with amenity=school, age=5-8
and the other with amenity=school, age=8-whatever

And to make this clear, OSM (for me) is not the place to map any kind of school
system 1:1, it should only give some hint whether schools are different, eg. a
Vorschule vs. an Oberstufenrealgymnasium.

/al