[Tagging] Wiki edits, building tags on nodes versus areas

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Thu Jun 5 10:03:42 UTC 2014

Am 04.06.2014 22:35, schrieb André Pirard:
> Exactly, this and below, my POV.
> I even say more: that a shop is an activity more than an object.
> Just as an amenity, it takes place in a building or part of it.
> But it can be in open air.
>
> building=yes
> shop:fishing=yes
> shop:fishing:rod:rental=yes
> shop.fish=no
> hotel=yes
>
> I find those constructs very understandable and, most importantly, prone
> to be imagined the same way by different people

That's another new tagging system though. And even doing it like this
breaks down when there is more than one shop in the building.

Therefore I believe that the only really clean solution is to actually
create one OSM element per feature: one for each shop, and one for the
building. This is also future proof - want to also tag the level the
shop is on, or even do complete indoor mapping? You can!

Now, I don't think this should be enforced in situations where there is
only one shop in the building and where the building itself doesn't have
name, wikipedia or other tags different from the shop's. But for the
general case, I'm still in favour of using multiple elements.