[Tagging] Bitcoin ATM (amenity=atm | currency:XBT=yes)

Janko Mihelić janjko at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 12:30:18 UTC 2014

> Hi
> I don't know if this would be a good idea. Of course it would be the
> correct tagging, but on the other hand the typical interpretation of
> amenity=atm is, that you get "real" money. As this fact is kind of
> default, it is never tagged. AFAIK bitcoin-atm only handle bitcoins, so
> it could lead to problems.
>
> Henning

AFAIK most Bitcoin ATMs right now take "real" money and convert it to
Bitcoins. Some can take Bitcoins and convert them to real money and give it
to you. So I'm not sure why this wouldn't be called an ATM. Calling it
anything else would be tagging for the renderer (we don't want it to show
up on maps because it isn't a classical ATM)

We only have to insist on the tag cash_out=no, and then tell renderers to
not render amenity=atm+cash_out=no.

Janko