[Tagging] Bitcoin ATM (amenity=atm | currency:XBT=yes)

Janko Mihelić janjko at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 12:41:21 UTC 2014

> 2. The bitcoin community has generally been skirting the rules
>
> Bitcoin mappers have been doing everything from copying other maps
> outright (violating copyright), to geocoding against Google and then
> placing that in OSM (violating copyright) to geocoding against
> nominatim and then using that (really bad quality data).

I think this is a very good lesson for OSM. And I think the solution to the
Bitcoin problem and similar problems in the future is to make specialized
editors, something like http://wheelmap.org. Founder of coinmap.org could
have taken the Id editor, and specialized it with only Bitcoin tags, and
put a "created_by=coinmap editor" tag to all changesets. That would have
made searching for Bitcoin editors easier, and by changing the coinmap
editor we could steer those mappers.