[Tagging] Suggestions for the correct tagging of Field borders

Simon Wüllhorst mail at simon-wuellhorst.de
Fri Jun 13 12:15:20 UTC 2014

Hello Guys,

currently I’m tagging the country around my place (farmland, farmyards,
meadow and so on). Farmlands are typically surrounded or seperated by small
areas/borders of several vegetations (trees bushes, at least in Germany),
called Field Borders (or Feldrain in German, more Informations:
http://extension.missouri.edu/p/g9421 or
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feldrain). They are important for farmers (to
improve crops growth) and they also useful for a better orientation and
navigation in this country.

I started a thread on forum.osm.org (It’s a german thread, so if you have
questions, please ask me) to get tips for the correct/ideal tagging of
these areas (important:it’s an area, not a way!).

In summary I got a lot of suggestions, for example natural=scrub or
natural=wood, ….

The problem of all these suggestions were, they all describe the type of
vegetation and not the purpose of these areas. Besides the vegetation of
these areas are much various, so you can’t describe them by using one or
two “vegetation”-tags.

According to the post of “dieterdreist” (
http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?pid=422045#p422045) I thought
about to create/use a completely new tag/value.

At this point I’m not shure which key would be correct. I’m thinking about
natural=fieldborder or landuse=fieldborder. On the one landuse=fieldborder
seems to be the better choise, because field borders have got a farming
purpose. But on the other hand they are grown as they are and are not
really managed.

So what whould be your favourite key/value for Filed Borders or what are
you thinking about this topic in general.

PS: After the latest update of the mapnik style farmlands/farmyards are
sourrounded by a little border. Some people say that would be raise the
motivation to create smaller seperations of farmland-areas (an own
farmland-area for every farmland and not a farmland-area for a whole
region). In my opinion the inroduciton of a Filed Border tag would support
these idea, too.

Greetings from Germany

(sorry for my bad english)

descilla/Simon Wüllhorst