[Tagging] Religious-neutral tags needed for religious objects/non-church places

Satoshi IIDA nyampire at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 15:36:05 UTC 2014

Hi,

+1 to "wayside_shrine" + "religion=*".
It could cover "Jizou" small buddhist shrines, and "Koushinto" small
shrines.
And I think those small shrine is covered "wayside_shrine" tag, too.
So if possible, wiki descriptions are to be modified to fit more broader
definition.

Shinto gate is a bit complicated even to Japanese mappers :)
We could not find the proper tags to figure it.
It means "this is a border between man's ward and gods's ward".
So it is similar meaning of  "border stone", between Shinto shrine(like
church)'s territory & people's.

"man_made=shinto_gate" or "man_made=gate" + "religion=shinto" is sounds
good for me.
(Shinto gate(Torii) is not barrier, city gate or some barriers to block
people's traffic.)
Hence. man_made=gate is found only 20 samples from taginfo.

> cross
"***=wayside_cross" + "religion?=celtic" is possible? to represent celtic
cross.
IMHO, all the cross is not geared for christian.
(it is reasonable of default meaning is christian :) )

Off topic.
Similar specific tag is "brewery".
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:brewery

It is beer specific description on wiki. But I think it is more broader
word to represent brew.
(like "brewery" + "brew?=beer, wine, sake or so")

Cheers,

> Man_made=cross or historic=wayside_cross similarly is geared for Christian
>>> religion,
>>>

>> This is clearly not religion-neutral and I would like to see some
>> neutral  tags for these objects
>>

> While I agree that wayside_shrine + religion=* is fine, I don't see why we
> should make crosses "religion-neutral". They could be seen as implying
> religion=christian, but there really is no problem with having those tags.
>

>> but there are millions upon millions of Shinto Gates and small figures of
>>> Buddha (ones you wouldn't think of as "statues", like the big copper buddha
>>> at Kamakura) - but the existing tags are not religious-neutral and paired
>>> with the religion tag or a subtag to handle these; ie
>>> manmade=ReligiousSymbol, religiousSymbol= Wayside Cross, Shinto Gate,
>>> Buddha Statue, Spaghetti Meatball, etc....
>>>

> why not directly tag man_made=shinto_gate? Or sculpture=buddha (together
> with religion-tags if you like)? Seems more consistent with our current
> tagging approach and is simpler. Not sure if man_made is the best key for
> this, I've always seen "man_made" as a category for technical stuff, but on
> the other hand it seems there have been inserted also some features which
> are of different nature, like "cross", "campanile" (any reason this is not
> tagged with building=bell_tower / campanile ?).
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:man_made and even
> landcover/landuse values (clearcut and cutline).
>
> Cheers,
> Martin

Satoshi IIDA
mail: nyampire at gmail.com