[Tagging] Signal-controlled roundabouts

Volker Schmidt voschix at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 16:25:27 UTC 2014

Good question.

I think this is because originally it was, as many others in the UK, a true
roundabout with priority in the ring. The traffic signals were added later
to avoid blocking up the (ex-)roundabouts. I have seen many roundabouts in
the UK go through these phases: New "clean" roundabout; access control by
traffic signals (sometimes part-time); traffic signals in the actual ring
(as in the example.
Even though they are still called xxx-roundabout, I agree with you that
they do not correspond to the criteria for roundabouts, and I believe there
are no roundabout traffic signs either
I would invite comments form the UK mappers on this, as they seem to have
added the corresponding paragraph into the wiki article on roundabouts.
Here in Italy I would not tag a similar road layout as junction=roundabout