[Tagging] "No abbreviations in names" edge case

John Sturdy jcg.sturdy at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 10:38:51 UTC 2014

Abbreviations can be ambiguous, and I doubt that names take up that much
disk space compared with the rest of the data (and the part that is
abbreviated away is even less); and when data is stored compressed, the
Abbreviations should compress well anyway (in fact, they should be the data
that compresses best).

On 18 Jun 2014 10:51, "François Lacombe" <
francois.lacombe at telecom-bretagne.eu> wrote:

> Could someone precise me why abbreviations should always be avoided in
tagging please ?

> I think it's a waste of HDD space and a potential source of errors and
misspellings, for company names or even categorization tags (generator:type
for instance).

> Nevertheless, I agree we should write Street xxxx instead of St xxx in
street names.

> Cheers
>
> François Lacombe
>
> francois dot lacombe At telecom-bretagne dot eu
> http://www.infos-reseaux.com

>> I reckon that if it isn't an abbreviation for any extant longer name, it
is no longer an abbreviation, and has become the full name in its own right.

http://web.archive.org/web/20011218005945/http://www.kwtv.com/news/strange/ixl.htm