[Tagging] Emergency Access

André Pirard A.Pirard.Papou at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 22:38:30 UTC 2014

On 2014-06-15 20:44, Peter Wendorff wrote :
> Hi Andreas,
> IMHO
> - access=emergency is a basic access restriction, which states that only
> emergency vehicles are allowed here (unless otherwise specified).
According to Key:access <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:access>,
there is no access=emergency, only emergency=yes
> - emergency=yes is such an "otherwise specification" where the main
> access rule is different, it's simply another way to define the same.
*emergency=yes* allows emergency vehicles indeed, but does not exclude
other vehicles.
It's unfortunately a very common routing mistake that misleads the very
logical GPSes.
To exclude all other vehicles, one must add (see key=access category
tree
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:access#Land-based_transportation>)
access=no
Or, to exclude just motor vehicles:
motor_vehicle=no
etc.
That is, a higher level (or other) "no".
Routers will obey those tags.
> - service=emergency_access sounds more as a subtag for highway=service
> and my interpretation would assume this is a service way with the
> primary purpose to allow emergency vehicles to access another facility
> (be it a building, highway or anything else).
The status of  highway=service
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dservice>  is very ill
defined regarding to routing.
It indicates that the road is for loosely defined special usage.
service=* is supposed to indicate which (only one!).
Routing is supposed to deduct country dependent access rules but I doubt
it does.
I think that access= + emergency=yes suffice to characterize such roads
indubitably.

Cheers,

André.