[Tagging] Optical telecomunication cable tagging

Jean-Marc Liotier jm at liotier.org
Tue Mar 4 11:16:33 UTC 2014

On 03/03/2014 22:13, François Lacombe wrote:
> I've found a dozen of markers in the country around my home, like this :
> http://www.infos-reseaux.com/photos/image/217-identification-telecom-trn
>
> It identifies terrestrial optical fibre cables going underground
> between cities in France.
>
> How should it be mapped in OSM ?

Those cables are not visible and therefore should not be mapped.

Being in charge of GIS projects for the fiber network of a major
telecommunication operator, my opinion is that Openstreetmap will never
achieve any useful view of optical networks: those cables are everywhere
but their path is usually not visible from public right of ways.

I contribute to the mapping of high-voltage lines, which are major
landmarks. I support the mapping of cabinets, which are minor urban
landmarks. I understand that some may be willing to map
telecommunications chambers, whose metal opening is visible on the
surface. But spare yourself the pain of mapping underground cables - I
guarantee it is a hopeless and useless endeavour.