[Tagging] Hot springs

Richard Z. ricoz.osm at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 11:52:34 UTC 2014

On Tue, Mar 04, 2014 at 07:35:02AM +0700, Dave Swarthout wrote:
> Speaking as a chemist, the term "sulfuric" would imply strong acidity as in
> sulfuric acid. What you're looking for I believe is a term to indicate if
> the water smells bad or not. Many hot springs have a rotten egg smell lent
> to the water by dissolved hydrogen sulfide (H2S), some of which escapes
> into the atmosphere to assault one's nose. This water would also be acidic
> but not to the same degree as "sulfuric" suggests. Perhaps sulfide=yes/no
> or sulfurous=yes/no would work better.

thanks for the input. I am not aware of many sulfurous hot springs in
Europe, one of them is on the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methana
peninsula.
Do you think characterising that as sulfurous would be fine? I think we
need something a "main characteristic" for layman usage and something
for the detailed properties. I am not yet sure if these should be combined
in one (multivalued) tag or done in separate tags.

> Also, I like the term water_characteristic or something similar. A more
> general, because not limited to water, but less common term might be
> effluent_characteristic. This would cover hot springs that involve mud,
> steam, or other stuff coming out of the ground.  If water only, then
> effluent_characteristic=water
> or
> effluent_characteristic=water+steam
> It might even be extended to include hydrogen sulfide:
> effluent_characteristic=water+sulfide

"effluent_characteristic" might be a very good idea to map all kinds of
fluid material. I was even thinking reusing it to characterise lava streams
but then we would need a separate tag for solid lava fields, probably not
so good.

So maybe water_characteristic which could be used for everything from mudpots
to saltwater in the ocean.

Richard