[Tagging] Optical telecomunication cable tagging

François Lacombe francois.lacombe at telecom-bretagne.eu
Tue Mar 4 16:15:54 UTC 2014

> On 04/03/2014 14:05, François Lacombe wrote:
>
>> Just consider we are talking about pipelines here, "optical pipelines"
>> which are going out of any urban area most of the time.
>>

> Along railways, motorways, high-voltage lines, riverbeds, roads, sewers,
> tunnels... Pretty much every type of right-of-way is used and the telecom
> link is part of it. Rarely does the telecommunications link exist on its
> own, except as directly buried cables that exist in rural locations.

I don't agree. "Except in rural location" may concern some important
distance.

For years, FT goes through fields and without any support infrastructure to
deploy GDL and that's exactly what I'm looking for on sundays.

Current example : http://maps.level3.com/default/#.UxX0iBCyPh8
Fibres sometimes follow roads or canals, sometimes not. And never from
start to end, cables are always switching from railroads to roads or paths.
We can't just establish relations on those supports.

> That would satisfy the visibility requirement.

+1

> In France, if you are going to dig a hole, there is a legal process to
> follow (called DICT) to submit the dig's location to a single point of
> contact where operators answer with blueprints of their network in the
> viccinity (got a meeting about that in 30 minutes...). If you hit something
> mentioned in the blueprints, you are responsible for the damage - otherwise
> it is the operator's fault for not telling you. There is a lot of money
> involved - a legally binding answer is required and Openstreetmap can't
> provide that.

Come on Jean-Marc, @AlertePelleteuz on Twitter wouldn't report so many
optical fibre outage with an efficient and reliable French DICT system.
Farmers with 1930's engines are digging out some pipes with fibres in, one
and each week (sometimes even grandmas manage to do so in eastern
Europe...).

As for pipelines, OSM is here to give common information, not legally
binded answer... like L3 map which doesn't show a great number of zoom
levels.

> Anyway, even if you don a scuba suit and survey a VNF-managed river, users
> won't be interested because you won't provide sufficient metadata such as
> which specific cable from which operator you found.

As a data producer I can't know what user would be finally interested in.
I see things in my environment and looking for the best way to legally,
responsibly and technically add it to the map.

I don't attend to reproduce an operator's GIS like yours, it's your job and
you're doing it well ;)