[Tagging] surface=ground/dirt/earth

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 08:57:56 UTC 2014

I'll weigh in with the common American conception of "dirt road". It is a
general term meaning unpaved. As Jaakko correctly pints out, some "dirt
roads" are really quite well built. For an example close to my Alaska home,
the long lonely road leading to the Prudhoe Bay oilfields, see these images
of the Dalton Highway:
https://www.google.com/search?safe=off&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=2133&bih=1185&q=dalton+highway+alaska&oq=dalton+highway

In my neighborhood of Homer, Alaska, indeed in most of rural Alaska,
residential roads are generally unpaved. Due to the severe winter
conditions, paving roads in Alaska is very expensive and once paved they
require frequent, expensive maintenance. I tag them as surface=gravel to
agree with OSM definitions but in everyday conversations they're called
dirt roads.

To construct such a road involves removing all the topsoil above the frost
line, piling truckloads of gravel base over the subsoil, putting down a
layer of geo-textile fabric to keep the road base stable during spring
"breakup", and then putting more truckloads of a specially formulated
mixture of clay, gravel and sand on top and grading it smooth. Once the
highway is open for use, this grading process is repeated several times
during each "summer season" as rain and traffic regularly pound potholes
into it. The best time to drive on these roads is in winter after the first
snow has hardened into a smooth layer  — no potholes, no dust, smooth
running.

As for "earth" or "ground" — I've never encountered those terms as
descriptions of road surfaces. Many dirt roads in the United States are not
as good as those in Alaska because of the expense involved and because
winters are so much less severe. They are really just dirt — an unpaved
track whose composition is a mix of clay and sand and gravel, whatever is
there to begin with plus some topping to make it less slippery in rain.

Regards,

AlaskaDave

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska