[Tagging] surface=ground/dirt/earth

johnw johnw at mac.com
Fri Mar 14 00:39:34 UTC 2014

+1 for dirt. There is a distinct difference between a dirt and gravel roads, as well as sand.

In the US, dirt roads - especially fire and forestry roads - are maintained for private and emergency access. Most of these roads are maintained by grading, but are not surfaced with gravel in any way.
The ground may technically be a mixture of naturally occurring rocks and clay, dirt and decomposed granite. but If you asked people to name it, would be called dirt.

"Dirt road" is also a colloquial definition for these types of roads, so maybe I'm biased.  "soil road" sounds bizarre, and ground road is just plain bad English. But all the other roads (gravel, cobblestone, asphalt, concrete, paved, etc) sound normal.

Dirt turns into mud with rain, so unless you are talking about a road through a marsh, one would expect a dirt road to be somewhat muddy when it rains.

because of the lack of rain, there are thousands and thousands of true dirt roads in drier climates.
Wetter climates often gravel the road until it sinks into the mud and they add more - a gravel road.

A true "mud" road would have to be mud most of the year, regardless of weather. sounds like a grade 5 track too.

"roads" in the desert are often in wadis, so they are truly sand roads.

There are gravel roads. and there are certainly sand roads. but there are also a lot of dirt roads as well.

- Ground is something you walk over, dig unto, or fly over = the surface. Moles live underground, not underdirt or undersoil.

- Soil is what you put in pots for planting flowers - prepared mixture of dirt, fertilizer, and ingredients for gardening/farming use = AKA "Potting soil" - not "potting dirt" or "potting ground"