[Tagging] layer=-1, rivers, bridges and tunnels

Pieren pieren3 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 15:36:26 UTC 2014

On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 4:15 PM, Jaakko Helleranta.com <jaakko at helleranta.com>

> At least OsmAnd renders all waterways with layer=-1 with
> dashed casing, as if they were underground, which to me makes sense

That's clearly a bug. Waterways underground is specified by "tunnel=*"

> So, again : why tag things with with layer= tag when they are essentially on
> ground level = not above or below other data (or at least natural objects
> that might be mapped one day *) ? Am I missing something here?

Real case from real world : a deep ditch where the stream is not
"underground" but below the "ground" level, is crossing a village
where we have 10 bridges. Either you add 10 times "layer=1" on the
bridges or you add 1 time "layer=-1" on the stream.

Pieren