[Tagging] layer=-1, rivers, bridges and tunnels

Peter Wendorff wendorff at uni-paderborn.de
Sat Mar 15 13:01:27 UTC 2014

Hi,

I agree partially with you here.
Yes, adding bridges in addition to the road is possible and may be a
good idea.
What we currently map as being a bridge in fact is the property of "the
road is on a bridge" instead.
Changing the current tagging scheme to "duplicate the corresponding
segment of the way and tag the bridge as a separate, but again linear
object" is worse in all but one point.
The only point this is better in is that a street with a continuous name
may not have to be splitted because of the bridge; but on the other hand
we do so for anything else, too: speed restrictions, footway or not,
highway type, surface and anything else; so it doesn't solve an issue
dedicated to bridges.

On the other hand it doesn't solve the issue with multiple parallel ways
on the same bridge, e.g. considering a dual carriage way on one bridge
construction we currently map the property "road is on a bridge" again
on both parts of the dual carriage way independently, but it's
impossible to decide from the data (usually) if it's one bridge or two
bridges.
Your proposal to duplicate the way does not solve this issue either, as
you would still need two separate ways here.

regards
Peter