[Tagging] layer=-1, rivers, bridges and tunnels

Richard Z. ricoz.osm at gmail.com
Sat Mar 15 18:25:30 UTC 2014

On Sat, Mar 15, 2014 at 02:06:13PM -0300, Fernando Trebien wrote:
> "the validator will only prevent the most obvious errors but will give
> you no clue how to fix them correctly"
>
> I know. But two or three rounds of trial and error with the validator
> should be enough to bring a new user to an acceptable representation.

the validator has no idea how the crossing is supposed to look like, this
is a very optimistic assumption optimistic for anything but the simplest
cases.

> "or one of covered,location,indoor,steps,lift or level, maybe more."
>
> I have to read more about them an check their usage, but they could
> all be incorporated in the same rule in the validator. It's just a few
> extra values in a set referred to in a rule. Surely this set can grow
> over time.

I have a bunch of search strings for JOSM on my user page,
  https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:RicoZ
use those as tests for the assumptions. In most part of the world what
they match are obvious errors - with the exception of some parts of
Chicago City which I do not know well enough to judge what is going on
there.

Reply to "level" related things in next email.

Richard