[Tagging] layer=-1, rivers, bridges and tunnels

Richard Mann richard.mann.westoxford at gmail.com
Sat Mar 15 21:31:54 UTC 2014

On Sat, Mar 15, 2014 at 7:31 PM, Peter Wendorff
<wendorff at uni-paderborn.de>wrote:

> > Situation 1 happens in many other cities across the world, and if you
> > tag the bridge as layer=1, you may end up inverting the rendering
> > order of highways, leading to this:
> > http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/138032009
> good point, but I would consider this a bug independent of rendering as
> the same may occur on the way below the bridge as well, if there's a
> join of that way with another one without a layer tag.x
>
> anyone going to report this as a bug in the stylesheet?
>
> regards
> Peter

It's exactly this reason why the roads should be at a single layer (except
the underpass) in a given vicinity, and the river set to one layer lower.
If you want to make all the roads layer=1, then feel free, but it's easier
to make the river layer=-1.

It's not a bug. The data is wrong. No renderer could reasonably be asked to
make sense of that mess.