[Tagging] building=bridge vs. man_made=bridge

Richard Z. ricoz.osm at gmail.com
Sun Mar 16 10:34:34 UTC 2014

On Sun, Mar 16, 2014 at 09:36:43AM +0100, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:

> > Am 16/mar/2014 um 01:42 schrieb "Richard Z." <ricoz.osm at gmail.com>:
> >
> > Also building=bridge is the wrong tag for this bridge
>

> why? Let's be cautious with judgements like "wrong tag" and even more in situations where there is not clearly a generally adopted tagging scheme (like for bridges).

building=bridge has been described in the wiki since March 2012
 https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Template:Building_typology&oldid=753458
so I see no good reason to change that.

For the purpose of mapping the outlines of bridges man_made=bridge has been
proposed some time ago and maybe should be cleaned up and adopted.
Afaics the example use of man_made=bridge for multilevel bridges does not
work as currently described, see talk page.
Otherwise the proposal looks good for me.. so maybe the multilevel part of
it should be postponed and get the simple stuff approved soon?

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/man_made%3Dbridge

Richard