[Tagging] surface=ground/dirt/earth

Fernando Trebien fernando.trebien at gmail.com
Sun Mar 16 21:07:05 UTC 2014

On Sat, Mar 15, 2014 at 6:41 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer
<dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:

>> "tracktype" is the "degree of compaction" of the material
>> (regardless of material)
>

> I have always more thought of it "how much it was constructed", while
> tracktype=1 is a paved road, 5 will be a track on grass (almost or not
> constructed at all) and the rest in between. Generally a tracktype=grade1
> should be easily navigable by bike or foot also after days of rain while for
> grade2 you would hope so and grade3 is not clear, 4 and 5 probably not. In
> the end it is a generalized hierarchical system that comprises several
> single characteristics to come to a summarizing tag value (and the single
> characteristics are not documented and may vary on individual basis).
> Somehow it still works as you can compare the values with other tracks in
> the same area.

Hm I think that someone on a city bike (not on a mountain bike) would
find tracktype=grade2 somewhat inconvenient, but still usable indeed.

Anyway, I'm making these questions because thinking of "degree of
compaction" (same as "hardness" maybe) makes tracktype essentially
independent from both smoothness and surface tags. You can then guess
more accurately things such as expected speed, comfort level, draft
forces, and the risk of getting bogged.

One question: do you think that an almost flat natural rock path
should be tracktype=grade1 (because it's closer to "compacted") or
tracktype=grade5 (because it's not "constructed")?