[Tagging] [osm_sk] Re: Aktualizace: Tags for Czech/Slovak address system

"Petr Morávek [Xificurk]" petr at pada.cz
Wed Mar 19 10:30:56 UTC 2014

Dne 19.3.2014 11:08, Pieren napsal(a):
> On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 8:24 PM, "Petr Morávek [Xificurk]" <petr at pada.cz> wrote:
>
>> I don't see anything wrong with using addr:place even on the address
>> points that do have street name.
>
> It's like "addr:country". It's not wrong to duplicate the information
> if someone add it in 10 or 100 addresses. It becomes a problem when a
> script (or import) is adding the same "addr:country" or "addr:place"
> to millions of addresses within a country when it's not needed. This
> kind of "mass tagging" is usually compensating a lack of software
> development/expertise either in data consumer applications (geocoding)
> or in external source imports (not checking if a surrounding polygon
> exists or not - for the country or for the place or for a named
> street)
>
> Pieren

Oh, here we go again... You are wrong. It's nothing like addr:country,
it's not duplicating any information, and the polygon approach is not
applicable.

I would really appreciate, if people would read on the local terms used
in this import before adding their "wisdom" that completely ignores
local conditions (aka "truth on the ground").

I did my best explaining at least the basics (in English) in my
previously referenced email to imports list. If someone is too lazy to
read that, then his/her claims and suggestions regarding this specific
import will most probably be worthless (as is the above example).

Best regards,
Petr Morávek aka Xificurk