[Tagging] surface=ground/dirt/earth

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 08:02:00 UTC 2014

Am 19/mar/2014 um 23:35 schrieb David Bannon <dbannon at internode.on.net>:

>> Please note that the track type scale goes from 1 to 5, there is no such thing as a grade6
> Indeed. What I said was I believe there should be 6,7 and 8. There is already a small number of =grade6 in the database

as the current system from 1 to 5 is an absolute one (5 being worst), adding grade 6 to 8 would mean redefining the whole system. Have a look at taginfo, everything beside 1-5 is used in neglect able numbers. Redefinitions never work well for tags (how would you know if a value was according to the old or new definition). if you are missing certain characteristics in the current tags you better propose additional tags (new) then to redefine what we have. For Australia I recall the proposition  of 4wd tags some years ago: http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/search?q=4wd

(don't know how well they are thought out and if they work)

cheers,
Martin