[Tagging] Opinion on meaning of tracktype, smoothness and surface for routing

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Fri Mar 21 19:41:31 UTC 2014

On Fri, 2014-03-21 at 13:29 -0500, Paul Johnson wrote:

> Does anyplace outside North America subjectively tag highway=* or is
> it formally tied to the official classification in most places, such
> as it is in the UK?

In the UK, tertiary/unclassified/residential is subjective, other roads
are tagged according to their official classification.

In terms of routing in the UK, smoothness is not so much of an issue.
The major factors are width (whether 2 vehicles can pass without slowing
down), twistiness and visibility (the two go together, we have a lot of
hedges which reduce forward visibility).

Phil (trigpoint)