[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Coastline-River transit placement

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Sat Mar 29 21:10:21 UTC 2014

On Saturday 29 March 2014, Richard Z. wrote:
> [...]
> * if part of the rationale is to determine whether some city is on
> the coast than that would typically be better defined by harbor or
> other properties. Any such application will require a more
> fine-grained approach anyway. Is there a harbor? Can I swim or surf
> there?

This was meant as an example - i did not specifically have this
application in mind.  Using the coastline to determine the distance of
some object to the coast would be equally suited.

The point i am trying to make is that for applications other than map
rendering consistent placement of the coastline-river transit is
important as well.

Using water salinity as a criterion will not work since there often is
no continuous transit from freshwater to saltwater but a layering with
freshwater on top and the heavier saltwater below.  Apart from that
fast flowing rivers can reduce the salinity quite far out into the
ocean.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/