[Tagging] admin_level on nodes: wiki vs practice

Fernando Trebien fernando.trebien at gmail.com
Sun May 11 04:31:00 UTC 2014

Hm I've looked up a few other cities (Hamburg, Munich, Cologne, Lyon,
Marseille, Rotterdam, Zurich, Manchester, Birmingham, Salzburg,
Aarhus) and they do not have an admin_level tag on the place=* node.
At the same time, I found some other cities that do: Paris [1],
Kopenhagen [2], Barcelona [3], Madrid [4], Brussels [5], Amsterdam
[6], Bern [7], Vienna [8], Rome [9], Milan [10]:

[1] http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/17807753
[2] http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/13707878
[3] http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/152364165
[4] http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/21068295
[5] http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/1635651356
[6] http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/268396336
[7] http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/18477455
[8] http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/17328659
[9] http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/72959652
[10] http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/62505581

I see an approximate pattern: capital cities tend to have an
admin_level tag, others tend not to have it. Maybe it's something in
use for backward compatibility, such as an with and old renderer that
uses it instead of the capital tag to render a label at lower zoom
levels.

On Sun, May 11, 2014 at 12:04 AM, Andreas Goss <andig88 at t-online.de> wrote:
>> Berlin
>

> Honestly looks like and error nobody has noticed yet. I mean admin_level=2 ?
> Berlin is a city state which might justify =4, but unless we somehow tag
> capitals like this I don't see the reasoning behind this tag in the first
> place.
>
> Andi

Fernando Trebien
+55 (51) 9962-5409