[Tagging] admin_level on nodes: wiki vs practice

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon May 12 09:30:08 UTC 2014

> Isn't "admin_level" a property of "boundary=administrative?" (that is
> also a an specialization of a "boundary" relation)
>
> Using "admin_level" outside (or without) a "boundary=administrative"
> relation will be as wrong/incomplete as using "service" without a
> "highway=service", "railway" or "waterway"; or using "crossing_ref"
> without "crossing", for example.

+1
I'd also see it like this. Use the role admin_centre in administrative
relations to include the central place, and/or add a
capital=<admin_level-number> on the place object to store its
administrative importance conveniently (no need to evaluate administrative
relations or to inherit importance from a relation).

cheers,
Martin