[Tagging] admin_level on nodes: wiki vs practice

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue May 13 15:12:19 UTC 2014

> Hi Martin, I was the one that marked the proposal for the key capital as
> cancelled (maybe abandoned was a better status).
> I did this because I saw it's use was a complete mess in tag info, and as
> far as I knew, admin_centre had the same purpose, so I just wanted to help
> to clean the wiki from it's countless inconsistencies and abandoned
> proposals.
>
> If the use of the key capital is well established, please at least create
> a page Key:capital explaining it's use.

You should be extra careful when marking docu as obsolete, I suggest always
asking here before doing so. AFAIK that page is the only documentation for
the capital key, and the capital-key is the mostly used and standard method
to mark a country capital (there is also the newer method of adding the
place with the admin centre role to the country's administrative relation,
but commonly the renderers use the capital key).

By looking at taginfo I don't agree that this tag looks messed up:
http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/capital#values
there are very few values that don't fit into the definition(s) on the
capital wiki page, "county" is the one with the most utilizations, but it's
only 10 of them. You will have lots of strange values for all osm keys but
as long as their number (for each value) is below 10 there is really no
need to worry.

cheers,
Martin