[Tagging] Large, multilane road tagging question

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu May 15 10:16:37 UTC 2014

> I have mapped some complicated intersections using links to represent turn
> lanes and other options in very large intersections. The links are
> connected exactly where they would logically connect one road to the other
> for each direction.
>
> Recently, I have been using Apple's turn by turn directions here in Japan
> (love it), and they seem to represent complicated intersections in a
> similar manner.
>
> Is there a philosophical or practical downside to representing a non-
> motorway in this manner? I am insure of how this effects the validity of
> the data, but for the current renderer, there seems to be no real visual
> issue, besides the arrows.

it is clearly against the conventions to use the tag highway=* for lanes,
it is a tag for carriageways. If you want to map lanes you should use
another tag.

I agree that explicit ways to represent lanes can have some benefits, for
example are they much easier to understand and maintain in complex
situations then the parametric approach.

cheers,
Martin