[Tagging] capital and state_capital: how are they being used in your country?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu May 15 14:58:17 UTC 2014

> > We could create an additional role (e.g. "capital") when the
> > "admin_centre" is not the capital (and only in this case to avoid
> > unnecessary duplicates).
> some definitions to keep in mind:
>
> capital - a city serving as a seat of government
>
> capitol - building in which a state legislature meets
>
> these are US usage, not sure if British usage is different.

capital should be for the capital city as it usually is defined in the
constitution or some other law, and should not be confused with the seat of
the government (IMHO). The US isn't a good example because the capital
happens to be the same as the seat of government.

"Capitol" is the name of the building of the american Congress, I am not
aware of other countries using this term and I wouldn't include this into
the country relation but would rather use a distinct tag to make it
retrievable.

For the seat of government I'd use a new role (seat_of_government seams
intuitive).
This might imply new problems in some cases btw., for instance in Germany
parts of the government (6 federal ministries and all second seats of the
other ministries) remained in Bonn as part of the compromise settled when
the parliament decided to transfer the seat of government to Berlin in the
1990ies.

cheer,
Martin