[Tagging] capital and state_capital: how are they being used in your country?

Andreas Goss andig88 at t-online.de
Thu May 15 16:32:21 UTC 2014

Am 5/15/14 16:30 , schrieb fly:
> Regarding the original discussion I am in favour of using
> capital=[2-10]* if an additional tag is needed. The semicolon (;) is
> defined as value separator so we could have capital=4;6;8 or similar.

This just sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. I also don't see why
it would be needed.

You are doubling the risk of errors when it comes to admin_levels. Now
you don't just have to ensure all relations are correct, but also all nodes.

You also have no reference to those numbers. When you add one
admin_level to a relation that relation has a name (Bavaria is a state).
When placing admin_centre you know the name of the relation and of the
city so you can make a connection (Munich is the capital of Bavaria).
And while that maybe is obvious at level 2 and 4, it becomes more
compicated when you get into smaller administrative areas. This also
makes it more complicated to find errors in the first place.

I also bet that people are going to assume that some numbers are missing
and are simply going to add them, especially as it varies from country
to country, from state to state etc. Others might simply add a number
with good intend, because they had the wrong admin_levels in mind.