[Tagging] capital and state_capital: how are they being used in your country?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu May 15 17:00:52 UTC 2014

> Wait a minute.
> As far as I understood, the key capital=* isn't supposed to simply
> substitute admin_level.
> capital=2 means this city (which the node represents) is the capital city
> of this country (which has admin_level=2).
> capital=4 means this city (which the node represents) is the capital city
> of this state (which usually has admin_level=4)
> capital=2;4 would mean this city is the capital city of the country AND
> state.
>
> Is my current understanding of this key wrong?

I'd see it like this:
capital=2     this place is the capital of a country
capital=4     this place is the capital of a region (etc.)

i.e. you can see the administrative importance, but there is no notion of
which entity the place is the capital.

capital=2;4 doesn't make much sense then.

cheers,
Martin