[Tagging] capital and state_capital: how are they being used in your country?
fernando.trebien at gmail.com
Mon May 19 00:46:33 UTC 2014
These could be tagged as follows:
- Italy's admin. boundary relation: admin_level=2
- Rome's node: capital=2
- Lazio's admin. boundary relation: admin_level=4
- Province of Rome's admin. boundary relation: admin_level=6
- City of Rome's admin. boundary relation: admin_level=8
- Abruzzo's admin. boundary relation: admin_level=4
- L'Aquila's node: capital=4
- Commune of L'Aquila's admin boundary relation: admin_level=6
- City of L'Aquila's admin. boundary relation: admin_level=8
How should one render the labels for Rome and L'Aquila? With
predefined styles for a country capital and for a "state" capital,
respectively. (There may be many levels of "capitals".) Then renderers
would read that information from Rome's and L'Aquila's nodes'
What is Rome a capital of? You'd have to look up:
- all relations that refer to Rome's node with a role "admin_centre"
which have no "capital" role
- all relations that refer to Rome's node with a role "capital"
(Or we can keep it simple and define the "capital" role and ignore the
"admin_centre" role altogether when answering this question.)
Who would be interested in knowing what Rome is a capital of? Besides
renderers (which often render a larger icon and larger fonts for
capitals), probably only an atlas app or something similar. This
information makes little difference for routing or geocoding.
On Sun, May 18, 2014 at 9:24 PM, Frank Little <frankosm at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> Sunday, May 18, 2014 2:43 PM John Pakker wrote:
>>Honest question: are there capitals for something besides countries and
> Italy has both regions and provinces.
> For example:
> - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abruzzo (Region) Capital: L'Aquila
> - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Province_of_Chieti (Province) Capital: Chieti
> (and the main town of a comune is technically a capital too).
> So L'Aquila is the capital of the Region and its own Province too.
> Rome is the capital of Italy, of the Region of Lazio, and the Province of
> Tagging mailing list
> Tagging at openstreetmap.org
+55 (51) 9962-5409
"Nullius in verba."
More information about the Tagging