[Tagging] capital and state_capital: how are they being used in your country?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon May 19 10:17:55 UTC 2014

> However, its most used value (capital=8)
> makes little sense (that represents the capital of an admin_level=8
> area, which would be the capital of a city!; I think those mappers
> meant "this capital is a city" :P).

I don't see capital=8 as missuse, you'd want this information at least in
Italy. An admin_level 8 entity in Italy is a "Comune" which is something
like a municipality, and which very often has several places inside
(cities, towns, villages, etc.) one of which is generally the main place or
"capital" (in Italian: capoluogo
http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capoluogowhich translates in Wikipedia to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chef-lieu which is not exactly the same but a
close fit and describing the phenomenon).

cheers,
Martin