[Tagging] shop: area or way?

Peter Wendorff wendorff at uni-paderborn.de
Sun May 25 07:37:54 UTC 2014

Hi Markus,
Wiki and taginfo both are correct, but your interpretation is not ;)

There is no area data type in OSM.
Any way that forms a closed polygon may be interpreted as an
area/polygon, depending on the tags.

The info boxes are dedicated to the mapper, here saying: "use it on
polygons (that is: closed areas), but not on non-closed ways."
In addition use on a Multipolygon (which is technically a relation, but
describes an area) is allowed and common as well.

Taginfo in contrast checks on a technical level only, without
differentiating between closed and non-closed ways. Therefore most of
the 2273 ways with shop=shoes are - I guess - closed ways, a.k.a. polygons.
And yes, buildings are areas as they should be closed ways.

The taginfo box does not tell you anything about areas because taginfo
does not know about areas, nor it knows about (or at least tells
anything about) closed ways. As any closed way is a way, the number of
ways shown in the taginfo box contains all ways, closed and non-closed
together.

Ideas on how to fix it (not in any order):

1) an area data type (which is on the idea list for quite a long time
already) ;)
2) use different icons in taginfo and the tag description box to
differentiate the technical osm-way (like the taginfo box uses it) from
the non-closed way (the tag summary box talks about).
3) explain to anyone complaining about this "discrepancy", what's the
reason for it ;)

regards
Peter