[Tagging] Urban perimeter

Nelson A. de Oliveira naoliv at gmail.com
Tue May 27 13:01:27 UTC 2014

On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 7:18 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer
<dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
> For settlements (in urbanism / settlement geographic terms) my suggestion is
> to use place=* on an area.

There is one problem when using place: people start to duplicate data.
What is already present/available in the place node is duplicated in
the place area. Sometimes it also causes data mismatch (population
with one value in the node and a different one in the area, different
classifications, names, etc).

The urban perimeter tag should be as simple as possible, without
giving a chance for data duplication.

> Please do not use landuse=residential for huge areas with all kind of
> landuses inside.

Using landuse=residential is exactly what we want to avoid.