[Tagging] highway=track access

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Fri May 30 07:28:42 UTC 2014

On 21/05/2014 23:28, Rob Nickerson wrote:

> >Going slightly off topic, I notice the UK listing is missing byway, a
> >recognised highway classification.
> >
> >Dave F.
>

> Hi Dave,
>
> The highway=byway tag is deprcated:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dbyway
>
> The legal status of UK Rights of Way now belong in the "designation"
> tag, and the highway is tagged with an appropriate value (mostly
> track, but could be service if part of the route is now a paved road
> (e.g. an access driveway to a property along the right of way):
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Public_rights_of_way_in_England_and_Wales#Byways
>
> Best,
> Rob

Hi Rob

I believe byway shouldn't be deprecated. In my area most of them are
signed as just 'byway' on the ground. There is no indication of their
legal status (BOATs etc), & AFAIA, there is no non copyrighted source
for these. I think many that have been tagged with designation=* have
been sourced from OS data.

Cheers
Dave F.

---