[Tagging] noexit=yes (again) (and again)

Yves yvecai at gmail.com
Sat May 31 06:35:17 UTC 2014


I had never tagged a noexit=yes, neither node=yes nor way=yes, but I find it sensible to declare it as false positive in QA tools.
Agree that the tag is less meaningful on ways.
Yves

On 31 mai 2014 06:51:59 UTC+02:00, bulwersator <bulwersator at zoho.com> wrote:
>noexit=yes on ways makes absolutely no sense and mentioning this
>tagging style on wiki suggests otherwise.
>
>---- On Fri, 30 May 2014 17:16:29 -0700 André Pirard
><A.Pirard.Papou at gmail.com> wrote ---- 
>
>
>  On 2014-05-30 18:47, SomeoneElse wrote :
> 
>5388B60F.9080909 at mail.atownsend.org.uk" type="cite"> We had a long
>discussion in 
>https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2014-April/017247.html
>
> and now I saw in the English wiki 
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:noexit this: 
> 
> "Use the noexit=yes tag on a way to indicate that the way is leading 
> to a dead end." 
> 
> I really don't remember having a consensus about this (and thus this 
> info shouldn't be in the wiki). 
>Although many people including me were saying that noexit=yes is
>absolute nonsense on a way, Pieren was insisting very much to allow it
>that manner because people were tagging it that manner, but without
>saying what those people mean, if anything.
> And he modified the noexit=yes page; "without consensus" as you say.
>I am the person who, wisely I hope, split the page in two parts, "node"
>and "way" so that anything funny could be written under "way" without
>destroying the well agreed "node" part, which is sensible except that
>the term "noexit=yes" is a mistake bait: it should have been called
>something like "intentional=yes" (polite tournure for QA=shutup).
>As we didn't know "what those people mean", I put it the only polite
>guess I could think of beside "nonsense"; "indicate that the way is
>leading to a dead end" while saying loudly that the least that could be
>done is telling toward which direction it leads to a dead end.
>I was thanked and there was a single comment at the right time it was
>to make them: that "way" usage should be deprecated.
>My own opinion is that all those "noexit=yes" should be bulk erased
>(with an explanatory message to the author) and that those QAs should
>do their job fully by reporting "noexit=yes" on nodes where they have
>no (false) error to report in the first place.
>Pieren asked my reasons "for no way" privately, I replied (in French)
>and he did not reply further.
> 
>BTW, the only sort of explanation for a non-intentional=yes  noexit=yes
>is indicating that it's not an unfinished highway.  To which I replied
>that it's wiser to tag the unfinished highways visibly than to embark
>upon tagging every other dead end invisibly.
> 
>Consensus:  I am asking it to replace in the "node" part "This tag is
>mainly useful" with "This tag is only useful", as there is no other
>explained reason than QA deterrent and because that phrasing leads
>taggers to invent other reasons.
> Please state your opinion, of course.
> 
>5388B60F.9080909 at mail.atownsend.org.uk" type="cite">So edit the wiki
>to say that there's no concensus, and add a citation linking to the
>tagging list discussion? 
>As it is clearly understood, It's up to you and their dog to modify the
>"way" part of that page any manner you see fit, including the phrase
>you cite as long as it continues to contains the shunting word "way"
>(but hitting one's mates isn't allowed).
> Why nobody did it yet is a deep mystery.
>Notice that someone re-introduced, "because it has been forgotten" he
>said, the phrase "... at the end of a highway ..." to which I found
>necessary to add "... on the node at the end" and that is under "Usage"
>after all the very necessary warnings.
>5388B60F.9080909 at mail.atownsend.org.uk" type="cite"> That would make
>the page more honest than it is at the moment. 
>  Thank you for the word "honesty"!
> Contrarily to the other ones, my change has been duly announced.
> 
>Please note that this is a summary of what has already been written and
>hopefully my last message about this.
> 
> 5388B60F.9080909 at mail.atownsend.org.uk" type="cite">Cheers, 
> 
> Andy 
> 
> (who tends to use the wiki rather like a drunk uses a lamppost) 
>"Hello lamppost, what you knowing? I've come to watch your flowers
>growing ..." ;-)  (Simon & Garfunkel)
> 
> message_exit=yes as they tag it ;-)
> Cheers,
> 
>    André.  
>   
> _______________________________________________ 
>Tagging mailing list 
>Tagging at openstreetmap.org 
>https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/tagging 
>
>
>
>
>
>------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>_______________________________________________
>Tagging mailing list
>Tagging at openstreetmap.org
>https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/tagging

-- 
Envoyé de mon téléphone Android avec K-9 Mail. Excusez la brièveté.



More information about the Tagging mailing list