[Tagging] noexit=yes (again) (and again)

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Sat May 31 15:05:39 UTC 2014

"The noexit=yes tag serves only one purpose and has two different "data
consumers": the next human mapper that comes along and automated QA tools.
It allows those two data consumers to know that a way that ends close to
another way but is not connected to it is not a mistake. For that purpose
it should be on the node at the end of a way that is very close to but not
touching another way."

+1

Agreed. I had a funny feeling this conversation would arise again. The
matter is simple and is spelled out in the snippet from Tod. I use the
noexit tag on the last node of a highway that offers no way forward, mostly
for other mappers so they do not have to investigate these dead_ends again.
Tagging the way makes no sense to me because there could be legitimate
routable destinations before the dead_end is reached. If you must tag
something at the beginning of a dead_end, tag the sign.

On Sat, May 31, 2014 at 5:11 AM, Tod Fitch <tod at fitchdesign.com> wrote:

> Any decent router will totally ignore a noexit=yes tag as it determines
> the topology from the actual ways and how they are connected.
>
> The noexit=yes tag serves only one purpose and has two different "data
> consumers": the next human mapper that comes along and automated QA tools.
> It allows those two data consumers to know that a way that ends close to
> another way but is not connected to it is not a mistake. For that purpose
> it should be on the node at the end of a way that is very close to but not
> touching another way.
>
> I agree with Martin that if you wish to tag a street sign that says "no
> outlet" or "dead end", then put a node where the sign is and tag it with
> "traffic_sign=*".
>
> -Tod
>

> On May 31, 2014, at 3:46 AM, Volker Schmidt wrote:
>
> This is not so obvious, because it has to be directional (for the router).
> If you start your route in such a dead-end street you never get out, if
> it's not directional.
> The noexit=yes on the way to me seems much simpler and intuitive.
> (I used the tag initially in this way, when I started with OSM. I had no
> doubt about it's use in this way, until I came across some discussion in a
> mailing list)
>

> On 31 May 2014 12:04, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Am 31/mag/2014 um 10:06 schrieb Volker Schmidt <voschix at gmail.com>:
>>
>> But how do I tag a dead-end sign on a road
>> (e.g. http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Zeichen_357.svg).
>>

>> you'd tag it best on a node with traffic_sign=* (e.g. dead_end)
>>
>> cheers,
>> Martin

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska