[Tagging] path vs footway

Tom Pfeifer t.pfeifer at computer.org
Tue Nov 4 10:33:45 UTC 2014

In a national park, I would prefer highway=footway for the built-up
and paved ways, e.g. close to the visitor centre, that are often
prepared for wheelchair=yes and attract people for a Sunday stroll.
Any longer, more natural paths for longer hiking I'd tag as
highway=path with tagging as Dan pointed out below.

Warin wrote on 2014-11-04 04:17:
 > Bicycle access on a footway I depreciate as the rendering is the same,
 > making the bicycle access tag useless.

A tag is not useless just because one particular renderer does not
evaluate it. There might be other renderer and data consumer that
are interested in this tag.

 > I'm not aware of the rendering of bridal trails.

highway=bridleway is rendered in the main map style, here is one:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/25798603