[Tagging] bridleways / Re: path vs footway

Tom Pfeifer t.pfeifer at computer.org
Tue Nov 4 13:58:39 UTC 2014

Martin Koppenhoefer wrote on 2014-11-04 14:30:

>     Surely highway=bridleway has been around forever? It was certainly there
>     when I started editing in 2007.
>
> surely this was there, but the German sign for a bridleway excludes pedestrians and bicycles and is rarely found in the real life, while ways without any signs aren't that rare, but no-one in Germany would think of calling those "bridleways"

Thanks Martin, I just learned that such a sign exists,
defining the bridleway in the German traffic code (StVO):
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/72/Zeichen_238.svg/240px-Zeichen_238.svg.png

Thus what is tagged in my area as bridleway is typically
a forestry track on which a small sign, more like the UK one
in the OSM wiki, by which the forest operator keeps the horses
on particular tracks. I conclude that highway=track with horse=yes/no
would be more appropriate.

I am tempted to add that conclusion to the wiki...

tom