[Tagging] governmental / public_administrative landuse are not commercial

Tom Pfeifer t.pfeifer at computer.org
Wed Nov 5 10:21:30 UTC 2014

Matthijs Melissen wrote on 2014-11-05 01:27:
 > I might have missed it in the discussion, but why not simply
 > landuse=governmental?

Well that was among my first ideas, hence the subject of this thread.
We are currently collecting the arguments for each potential tags on the
Talk page, feel free to contribute there or here:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Proposed_features/landuse%3Dcivic#Alternative_values

I start thinking that we might need even two tags, one for the civic/municipal cases
and one for the govenmental/administration ones.

johnw wrote on 2014-11-05 06:35:
 > Thanks tom. ^_^ I was so surprised to see the info in the talk page.
 > When we first talked about landuse=civic a few months ago, I wanted to make an RFC page,
 > but, honestly, the guidelines didn't really show me how to actually _make the page_ ,
 > and while I'm really good with a screwdriver or photoshop, wiki markup and conventions are
 > new, so I couldn't.   This time I figured it out.

I agree that the wiki is not good in documenting it's own use.
More or less accidentally I found this page with lots of markup:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Wiki_organisation
and the proposal process: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposal

tom