[Tagging] natural=ridge vs natural=arete

Friedrich Volkmann bsd at volki.at
Thu Nov 6 04:50:03 UTC 2014

> arguably it is not too late, there are only 450 uses of arete by now (and
> 17K+ ridges).

450 uses are quite a lot for a feature that is constantly ignored by renderers.

For the same reason, I suppose that some of the 17K+ ridges were created by
imports.

> Please also note that the tag "natural=arete" was formally
> rejected (not enough votes: http://wiki.osm.org/wiki/Proposed_features/arete )

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposal_process#Voting:
"A rule of thumb for "enough support" is 8 unanimous approval votes or 15
total votes with a majority approval"

It got 10 unanimous approval votes, which is obviously even better than 8.
Therefore, it clearly was approved. And, by the way, there was more than
enough time for critics to object.