[Tagging] Various alt_name values?

Lukas Sommer sommerluk at gmail.com
Sun Nov 23 17:20:31 UTC 2014

Some time ago, there was a discussion on the “talk” mailing list about how
to deal with the situation of more than one alt_name:

https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2014-September/070838.html

Most participants preferred the solution “alt_name=name1;name2” over
solutions like “alt_name_1=name1”+“alt_name_2=name2”.

However, the discussion didn’t lead to something “official”.

I think it could be useful to have a clear documentation on the wiki about
which solution is the preferred one.

Would a feature proposal be a good way to get there?

Lukas Sommer

PS: Me to, I would prefer “alt_name=name1;name2” over other solutions.