[Tagging] sport= non-physical tags and the exceptions people come up with...

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Mon Nov 24 13:53:32 UTC 2014

Let's look at the entity relations in play here. Surely a club IS an
organisation, not a building. The club MAY USE one or more buildings,
and MAY OWN one or more buildings. A club HAS a contact address, HAS
members, HAS a "board" etc etc. So following the rules of "one object,
one set of tags", putting "club=chess" on a building could be considered
to be wrong, as the building may be used by several clubs. Bearing in
mind how some people hate multi-valued tags with semicolons, how about
"club:chess=meeting_place"? Then multiple clubs could use the same
building, each with a different role if required. Otherwise use a simple
node (per club) within the building to indicate some relationship
between the club and the building.

Colin

On 2014-11-24 14:36, Richard Z. wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 02:13:07PM +0100, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> 2014-11-24 13:57 GMT+01:00 Richard Z. <ricoz.osm at gmail.com>: According to the approved http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Club [1] chess has an own club=chess, as has fishing, automobile, hiking - all of which can be either leisure type or sport type activities. I think "club=automobile" for a motorsport / racing club would not be very well chosen as this might really mean a lot of different things, some of them clearly neither "leisure" nor "sport", e.g. the "ADAC" (biggest German automobile club, almost every 4th German is a member, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADAC [2] ) does organize also some racing event, but is mostly seen as kind of insurance if your car breaks down (and as very strong political lobbyist advocating mainly individual motorized traffic). Documentation of the club tag is very scarse at the moment: http://wiki.osm.org/wiki/Key:club [3] and I am not sure how it can be improved, e.g. if I wanted to write something about club=automobile, would I
have to write to all the mappers that have put these 127 club=automobile on the map, to ask what they have used the tag for?

I think much the same problem exists with other club=value as well like
club=chess? Nevertheless.. you may walk by a building with a tag
something
like a "chess-club" and if it is mapped as club=chess it is "correct".
It is also fairly un-informative but we are supposed to map what we see
and not do background checks of clubs with google or wikipedia?

Richard

Links:
------
[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Club