[Tagging] custom road ref shields

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Fri Nov 28 22:06:19 UTC 2014

I've been trying to understand the issues that keep us from having Pictural
Route Shields. The issue is on github [1] but as best as I can understand,
it gets down to how we (US) tag routes. From talking to Paul Norman we need
to fix the tagging problems before we can get pictural route shields.

Toby has a working demo [2] up on the openstreetmap us servers. According
to Toby, the US Interstate routes are in good shape. We probably need to
work on State and US routes. Not having done much route relationships,
except to break a few, I can't offer much support. However with Martijn
Exel help using Maproulette we could go after broken relationships.

I propose we ask for pictural shields on interstate routes while working on
completing the US and State routes.

[1] https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/596
[2] http://benzene.osm.osuosl.org/~toby/shields.html

Clifford